Rode VideoMic Directional On-camera Microphone
The Rode VideoMic Directional On-camera Microphone is a professional grade 1/2″ condenser shotgun microphone designed for use with consumer video cameras and personal audio recorders.
The integrated Rycote® Lyre® based shock mounting system isolates the VideoMic capsule and electronics from its all-metal shoe mount, providing isolation from external physical factors that may cause unwanted rumble and vibrations in the microphone. Constructed from a single piece of hard-wearing thermoplastic, the Lyre® provides superior acoustic suspension to traditional elastic solutions, and will never wear out, sag or snap.
Its standard sized shoe mount also includes a 3/8″ thread in the base for easy mounting on a boom pole or stand.
By employing a super-cardioid polar pattern the VideoMic becomes highly directional, focusing on the subject in front of the camera, and minimising any surrounding sounds.
In addition to the microphone’s native 40Hz-20kHz response a selectable high-pass filter at 80Hz is available, which will prevent low end noise such as air conditioners and traffic from being recorded.
A -10dB and -20dB level attenuation (or PAD), selectable from inside the battery compartment, allows recording of loud sound sources, such as live music or motorsport
Rode VideoMic Key Features
- Studio recording quality
- Condenser microphone
- Super-cardioid polar pattern
- 9V battery power
- Integrated Rycote® Lyre® shock mounting
- Two step High Pass Filter (Flat/80Hz)
- Three step PAD (0, -10, -20dB)
- Rugged reinforced ABS construction
- Windshield included
- 3.5mm mini-jack output
- Integrated cold-shoe mount (3/8” thread)
IN THE BOX:
- VideoMic Directional On-camera Microphone
|Acoustic Principle||Line Gradient|
|Active Electronics||JFET impedance converter|
|Frequency Range||40Hz – 20kHz|
|Sensitivity||-38.0dB re 1 Volt/Pascal (12.60mV @ 94 dB SPL) +/- 2 dB @ 1kHz|
|Equivalent Noise Level (A-weighted)||20dBA|
|Dimensions||65.00mmH x 102.00mmW x 250.00mmD|
EC Certificate of Conformity
- The rubber shock bands are available to order as a pack through your local distributor. Please use our technical support page to find your nearest distributor.
- We recommend an Alkaline or Lithium battery for the best possible battery life. All RØDE specifications have been carried out using this type of battery. If you use a slightly lower power battery, the mic will work but may not meet our published specifcation.
- The RØDE cold shoe adaptor is a standard size adaptor, also known as a universal shoe mount. This standard shoe is suitable for the majority of camera attachments.
If your camera has a different, or custom adaptor, please contact your camera manufacturer for information on converters to fit the universal shoe connection.
- Yes, all of our microphones in the VideoMic range have a standard 3/8 thread built into the bottom of the cold shoe mount for connection to a boompole, mic stand or tripod.
- This is usually caused by the function of “Automatic Gain Control” or “AGC” on the camera.
Basically, when the camera cannot sense an audio input signal it automatically increases the gain of the input. It is increased so much that the noise floor in the camera microphone amplifier becomes audible .
The AGC can be disabled on some cameras and it is worth checking with you camera manufacturer for information on this, which can sometimes require a firmware update to the camera.
RØDE have created the VideoMic Pro to help combat this issue, the VideoMic Pro contains a 20dB pre amplifier, boosting the mic signal so that the camera will see a good signal level and not engage its AGC.
We recommend setting your audio levels manually to achieve an optimum signal to noise ratio and disabling the AGC of the camera.
- WSVM Pop Filter/Wind Shield
- Deadcat Artificial Fur Wind Shield
- ZP2 Padded Zip Pouch (large)
- PG1 Cold Shoe Pistol Grip
- VXLR Minijack to XLR Adaptor
- VC1 Minijack/3.5mm Stereo Extension Cable (3m/10′)
- Tripod Mini Tripod Stand
- Boompole Professional Boompole – 3.3m
- Mini Boompole Professional Boompole – 2.1m
- Micro Boompole Lightweight Boompole – 2m
- Pivot Adaptor 3/8″ pivoting boom adaptor
- SC4 3.5mm TRS to TRRS adaptor
- Micro Boompole Pro Ultra-Lightweight Modular Boompole – 2.2m