Rode NTG5 Location Recording Kit
The Rode NTG5 Location Recording Kit is a short, ultra-lightweight shotgun microphone ideal for use in the most demanding recording applications. Featuring a revolutionary acoustic design with circular ports replacing the linear slots found in other shotgun mics, it offers unmatched transparency and a more natural, uncoloured sound. Combined with a tightly controlled frequency response, smooth off-axis response, and very low self-noise (just 10dBA), the NTG5 sounds spectacular in a wide variety of applications, particularly location recording and demanding filmmaking scenarios where superlative audio is the imperative. No excuses.
The NTG5 is a boom operator’s dream, weighing a mere 76g and measuring just over 20cm, making it ideal for use on long, demanding shoots. It features RF-bias circuitry to ensure reliable performance in adverse environments, with excellent resistance to high humidity, severe cold, damp, and dust. And it comes with a WS10 deluxe windshield, PG2-R pistol grip, and other accessories – the perfect location recording kit.
Rode NTG5 Features
- Revolutionary acoustic design, delivering a natural, uncoloured sound.
- Extremely lightweight (just 76g), and short in length (just 203mm)
- Tailored frequency response and very low self-noise of just 10dBA
- Highly directional supercardioid polar pattern and smooth off-axis response
- RF-bias technology and conformal coating ensure superior performance in adverse environmental conditions
- Comes in a complete location recording kit with WS10 windshield, PG2-R pistol grip and other accessories
IN THE BOX:
- Broadcast Shotgun Microphone
- Pistol Grip Shock Mount
- WS10 Windshield
- ZP1 Small Pouch Bag
- RM5 Microphone Clip
- PG2-R Pro Cable
- Foam Windshield
ACOUSTIC & ELECTRICAL SPECIFICATIONS
|Acoustic Principle||RF-bias condenser|
|Active Electronics||RF-bias demodulation|
|Polar Pattern||Supercardioid shotgun|
|Frequency Range||20 Hz – 20 kHz|
|Frequency Response||80 Hz – 20 kHz ±3 dB|
|Output Impedance||25 Ω|
|Signal to noise Ratio||84 dB|
|Equivalent Noise||10 dB SPL (A-weighted, as per IEC651)|
|Input SPL @ 1% THD||130 dB SPL (1kHz @ 1% THD, 600 Ω load)|
|Power Requirements||2 mA @ 48V phantom power|
|Sensitivity||-23.5 dB re. 1 Volt/Pascal or Better (66 mV @ 94 dB SPL @ 1 kHz)|
|Dimensions (L x W x H, mm)||NTG5: 203 x 19
PG2-R:117 x 60 x 240
|Weight (g)||NTG5: 76g
Regulatory and Safety Guide
- Absolutely! The NTG3 is a legendary voiceover mic, which is largely due to the extended low end but also its natural high frequencies. The NTG5 has a flatter low end, but a very similar high frequency response to the NTG3 and will sound fantastic as a voiceover mic.
- The active part of the line tube of the NTG5 is the same length as the NTG3, maintaining the directional characteristics of shotgun-style mics.
- The NTG5’s conformal coating is a thin layer of protective material that shields the active electronics from any moisture or particles, and the RF-biased circuitry is very resistant to moisture. This makes the NTG5 perfect for use in harsh weather conditions.
- The NTG5 builds on the ground-breaking technology of the NTG3 (namely the RF-bias technology, which ensures better immunity to moisture and other environmental factors that can affect performance) with a focus on making it the ideal location recording microphone. First of all, it is much shorter and lighter than the NTG3, which makes it easier to handle on a boom pole. It also features a revolutionary new acoustic design, which delivers a beautifully natural and uncoloured sound; and it has a less pronounced low end response than the NTG3, which is preferable when recording on-location. Lastly, the electronics have been redesigned, resulting in lower self-noise than the NTG3 (10dBA vs 13dBA). They are both great microphones that can be used interchangeably in many scenarios, however, the NTG5 excels as a location recording mic, whereas the NTG3’s pronounced low end is ideal for recording indoors (also great outdoors), and for voiceovers and other applications where rich bottom end is desired.
- The NTG5 is incredibly light at just 76 grams, making it a dream for boom operators or filmmakers looking for a compact shotgun that delivers broadcast-grade audio. It has a flatter low end, making it ideal for recording outdoors and on-location. This also effectively provides the preamp with more headroom. Finally, the RF-bias circuitry and conformal coating improve the resilience of all electronic components.
- Blimp Wind Shield and Shock Mount System
- Boompole Professional Boompole – 3.3m
- SM3-R Camera Shoe Shock Mount